Many people who go on vacation to Turkey are satisfied with sun bathing by the pool or lying on the beach during the day, and spending the evenings at local restaurants and bars. But if you are looking for something else, Turkey has so much more to offer. Here are some suggestions.
1. Balloon Trips If you're not afraid of heights then Cappadocia is supposed to be one of the best spots in the world for flying in a hot-air balloon. Here the condition are usually very favourable, with gentle winds most days, and the view is unforgettable.
2. Sailing Cruise If you want to experience Turkey's beautiful and dramatic coastline, it should be done from the sea, and along the coast you can find a number of various cruises on offer. The cruises vary in price and duration, from 2 to 3 days to a couple of weeks. Here you'll find hidden coves and beaches and at Kekova, you can even see a fallen Roman town under the crystal clear water.
3. Swimming with dolphins Nature and animal experiences are numerous and both turtles and dolphins are frequent visitors along the coast. At the Dolphin Therapy Center in Kas, you can get the unique experience of swimming with dolphins.
4. The Grand Bazaar The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, which is the world's largest indoor market, is a "must" if you visit this historically important city. In the bazaars more than 3000 stores and dozens of restaurants you can find everything.
5. Turkish Bath During your stay in Turkey try to find time to visit a real Turkish bath, or hamam. This special form of public baths have existed in Turkey through the millennia, and even though most people now have their own bathroom at home, the Turkish baths are still very popular today, and are found everywhere.
6. Traditional Turkish Night: The Turkish people are proud of their long heritage and a traditional restaurant evening is a great way to get a proper taste of Turkey. Buffet meal with meze will be followed by performances of folk dance and traditional belly dance, and it is even possible for those who feel the call to participate.
7. Whirling Dervishes: It might also be worth it to catch an appearance of the famous Whirling Dervishes, a ritual and spectacular dance performed by members of the Mevlevi-order. The Whirling dervishes, you can experience in Konya, where the monastic order arose, or in Istanbul.
8. River Rafting For the more bold and adventurous among us Turkey offers some of the best white-water rafting in the world, especially down the descents of the Coruh River. The Dalaman River, Köprülü River, Zamanti River will also provide you with plenty of thrills.
9. Ephesus Ephesus is one of the best preserved ancient cities in the world, with a history that dates back to the 12th century BC. The temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the World, once stood here.
10. Aspendos Aspendos which is located in the Antalya region, has one of the largest and best preserved Roman theatres in Turkey, which originates from the 2nd century AD. Here you can also see some of the best preserved Roman aqueducts in Turkey. The theatre is still used for wrestling matches, concerts and dance shows.